Pioneers' explosive fourth quarter lifts Transylvania to 7-5 win over Huntingdon

Pioneers' explosive fourth quarter lifts Transylvania to 7-5 win over Huntingdon

LEXINGTON, Ky. –The Pioneer offense exploded for three goals over a 3:17 span in the fourth quarter to pick up a 7-5 win over visiting Huntingdon College Saturday at Pat Deacon Stadium.

After Huntingdon regained the lead at 5-4 less than a minute into the fourth quarter, the Pioneer offense ignited for three straight goals to claim their first win of the season. A goal from junior attacker Ben Erwin squared the score at five.

Transylvania wasted no time scoring 33 seconds later on a goal from freshman midfielder Josh Mesmer. Junior Sam Ives won the face-off following the goal from Erwin and found Mesmer for the go-ahead score. Multiple stops from the Pioneer defense thwarted the Huntingdon comeback attempt and led to a successful clear for the Pioneers and an insurance goal from sophomore midfielder Clark Watts.

"Our goalie, Cooper Fogle, rallied our defense and they responded," head coach Terry Justice said. I cannot say enough about our long stick defenders Robert Rhea, Alex Nugent, Matthew Parker, Ben Rogers and Nick Herberth clamped down on the Huntingdon attack."

The Hawks tallied three unanswered goals in the first quarter to take an early 3-0 lead over Transylvania. Sophomore midfielder Zack Riggs got the Pioneers on the board with 2:40 to play in the first quarter, after a groundball pickup led to a successful clear attempt for the Pioneers. The Pioneer offense generated six shots, but the score remained locked at 3-1 until the Pioneers struck again as time wound down in the first half.

"I thought the boys really stayed composed after they were down three in the first five minutes," Justice said.

Sophomore attacker Zach Roby beat the Huntingdon goalie to pull Transylvania within one, 3-2. The Pioneer defense denied a clear attempt by the Hawks, as sophomore long stick midfielder Ben Rogers came up with the groundball to give the Pioneers possession. Rogers sent a shot toward the net, but missed wide allowing Roby the shot for the score. Roby and the Pioneer offense threatened again with less than thirty seconds to play in the half but could not convert.

However, early in the second half Transylvania evened the score at three on a goal from Roby—his second of the day. Freshman midfielder Brandon Heller found junior Clay Douthat for the score to give the Pioneers a 4-3 lead with 6:25 to play—their first of the game.

The Transylvania defense forced 19 Huntingdon turnovers in the game and the Pioneers scooped up 24 groundballs.

The win moves the Pioneers' record to 1-1 on the season. Transylvania hosts Birmingham-Southern March 7 at Pat Deacon Stadium. Saturday's game is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Live stats and video for Saturday's game are available here.