Men's lacrosse drops overtime game to Hanover, 8-7

Men's lacrosse drops overtime game to Hanover, 8-7

LEXINGTON, Ky.—After the start of the game was delayed several hours due to inclement weather in the area, the Transylvania University men's lacrosse team dropped a tightly contested matchup with Ohio River Lacrosse Conference foe Hanover College in overtime.

The Pioneers jumped out to an early lead when midfielder Gus Burge took a pass from attacker Clay Douthat and beat the Panther goalkeeper with 12 minutes to play in the opening quarter. After two Hanover goals in the next eight minutes, Douthat knotted the score up at 2-2 at the 2:29 mark off an assist from fellow attacker Zach Roby.

The second quarter was good to Transy, as they scored three unanswered goals to open the period and take a 5-2 lead. Midfielder Zach Riggs opened the scoring less than 30 seconds into the quarter before a goal five minutes later gave the Pioneers a two-score advantage. Riggs' second goal of the quarter was assisted by attacker Ben Erwin. Roby, coming off a seven goal performance in Transylvania's last game, added his second goal of the match at the 8:05 mark to put the Pioneers ahead 5-2. Despite two late goals from Hanover, Transy took a one-goal lead into the locker room, 5-4.

Lightning again came into play as the start of the third quarter was delayed. Once the teams returned to action, the Panthers came out swinging and scored two goals within four seconds of each other at the 12:06 and 12:02 mark to tie and retake the lead, 6-5. Roby evened the score yet again with just under 10 to play in the quarter with an unassisted goal.

In the fourth, Hanover jumped out to a 7-6 lead with less than eight minutes to play but a timely goal from midfielder Clark Watts evented the score up at the 6:31 juncture of the match. Neither team would score over the final minutes of the game and the teams would enter overtime deadlocked at seven each.

In overtime, the Pioneers won the opening faceoff and ripped off a series of shots at the Hanover goalkeeper but only one was on target. After recording a save at the 1:54 mark in overtime, the Panther goalie dished the ball out to his teammates and Hanover recorded an unassisted game-winner with 1:33 to play.

Transylvania dominated nearly every aspect of the game but were unable to seal the victory. The Pioneers outshot Hanover 45-29 while putting 22 shots on goal to Hanover's 18. Transy also picked up 15 more groundballs than the Panthers with 33. Riggs and defender Matthew Parker led the way with five groundballs each. Roby's and Riggs' two goals were a team-high and Douthat's two assists were a game-high for both teams.

The Pioneers (5-6, 1-1 ORLC) look to move above .500 in conference play this weekend in a road matchup with St. Vincent. That game is slated to being at 1:00 p.m.