Pioneers and Wooster go goalless to close Transylvania Soccer Showcase

Pioneers and Wooster go goalless to close Transylvania Soccer Showcase

Lexington, Ky.—The Transylvania men's soccer team secured a hard fought 0-0 draw against the College of Wooster Fighting Scots on Sunday afternoon in the final match of the Transylvania Soccer Showcase.

The Pioneers and Scots battled each other to a stalemate not only on the scoreboard, but also across most of the statistical categories. The shot differential was minimal, as Transylvania outshot Wooster 21-17.

The keepers were also formidable foes for each other, as there was only a three save differential between the two keepers. The Pioneers recorded eight saves to Wooster's five.

One area where Transylvania exploited Wooster was that of corner kicks, as the Pioneers earned ten to the Scots' one.

The first 90 minutes of soccer were somewhat uneventful, as each team took their turn at attempting, and failing to score. Great defensive pressure combined with steller goalkeeper play led to a score of 0-0 at the end of regulation. The Scots mounted a series of attacks down the stretch of regulation, but the Pioneers turned them back each time Wooster approached their territory.

The Pioneers outshot the Scots 3 to 1 in the first overtime period, highlighted by a shot from freshman Forward Cubaka Mutayongwa that nearly found the back of the net.

Each team managed to fire off five shots in the final overtime period; none more promising than a post shot by freshman forward Charlie Wend at the 109' mark. The goal keepers from both sides recorded crucial saves in the final minutes of action, and the game came to a close still deadlocked at nil-nil.

The Pioneers now move to 1-0-1 on the year. Next up Transylvania will face Trine University on Friday night at Pat Deacon Stadium in the first match of the Mary Ann Waford Memorial. Kickoff is set for 5:00 p.m.

For more on Transylvania men's soccer, follow their official twitter @TransyMSoccer